Monday, May 18, 2015

GAIN - Google Forms

Google Forms...an unknown mystery to me. I have never heard of Google Forms, or any other device like this. So to start out I had to engulf myself with many different videos because I always have this fear that I am going to do something wrong and accidentally share something publically that is beyond embarrassing. So thanks to some very helpful tutorials, I began my time with Google Forms. I had a hard time figuring some things out, despite my time with the tutorials. But once I got the hang of it, it was quite fascinating. I like that there is the ability to use several different test types like test, check boxes, multiple choice, or a grid ( I couldn't find this one, but my Graham book says it is there, so I will have to search a little more for this one). But this software is really helpful for not just teachers to create self-grading quizzes, which, what teacher would turn that down?? But students can use Forms to make their own surveys. In college Psych classes, students had to make surveys all the time for projects, and they took forever on only device the school provided. Had they had Google Forms, it would have been a lot easier for them, as well as the students taking the survey. This type of project also would meet some of the requirements of the Common Core State Standards such as "Present information, findings, and supporting evidence such that listeners can follow the line of reasoning and the organization, development, and style are appropriate to task, purpose, and audience." (Graham p. 117).

The Graham book gave more ideas about how Forms can be used that I did not think of. One of which was that it can be used by teachers to hold information about a certain student's grades, behavior, and attendance. This is beneficial since we live in a world that needs to have information at their fingertips and since Forms is in the cloud, that is the best way that teachers can do this. Graham also says that the information can be emailed to parents directly, so the parents can know what their child needs to work on and have all the information they need to help their child succeed.

So while I still feel like I need to devote more time to really understand all aspect of Google Forms, I think this is a great way for students and teachers to keep information, share information, and create quizzes and surveys that would be beneficial for not just the teacher, but the student and the student's parents as well.

1 comment: