Wednesday, May 20, 2015

GAIN - sites

So far in my life I have had very few reasons to create my own website. The only time I created a website for myself was when I was creating a website for my fiancé and myself to put various pieces of information on so our guests can have heir questions answered. This was incredibly helpful since a lot of my family lives in Georgia and don't know much about our area. However, we didn't want to pay for this because we weren't going to have it for long. At the time the only option I knew of was through a wedding website where I was limited to certain formats and designs and they all look the same as everyone else's wedding websites.

Exploring Google Sites was a lot of fun and I feel like I had more options than with a pre-organized website created by some "wedding experts." I liked that I could create my own tab names and had choices as to where I wanted them located. I believe I moved the tabs all over the page before I finally settled on just a little higher than they were originally. I also liked all the different widgets that were available. While I didn't find any that fit what I wanted with my website, I played around with these as well. I liked the idea of the calendar widget especially for a website that would be for a classroom. I think I would like to have a website for my students to go to and have the calendar on the front page so parents and students can be in the loop on what is going on and when.

While my textbook doesn't go into great length about Sites, Google Sites is a great tool that can be used by schools or classrooms. There are so many possibilities for what someone can do with their website to create a great place for students and parents to stay informed and get any information, even if the teacher is not directly available at that particular time.

To see my site I created, click here

1 comment: